What does "Ultimate tensile strength" mean?
It means the maximum load when the chain is pulled to the point of breaking.
(It is also called "Breaking strength" and "Breaking load".)
Test Method of Ultimate Tensile Streng
As shown in the diagram, a chain consisting of at least five links is fastened into a clamping device and arranged so that it is not subject to stresses from torsion, bending etc. It is then subjected to a gradually increasing tensile force until it breaks, at which point the maximum load is measured.
Values resulting from failure of the clamping device are not applicable.
The clamping device is able to move freely.
What does "Average ultimate tensile strength" mean?
It means the average value of tensile test results over a period sufficient to represent a process.
What does "Assured tensile strenght" mean?
It means the tensile strength that the manufacturer guarantees in transactions with the market in general, or with a specific user. It is generally set according to the minimum tensile strength, but may be determined in other ways in other circumstances.
What does "Maximum allowable load" mean?
It means the allowable limit of maximum load T acting on the chain. Maximum load T is generally calculated by the formula below.
- The Formula for Computation of "Maximum allowable load"
- T = Load acting on the chain * Use factor * Speed factor
Does the allowable load change when using offset links on roller chain?
The maximum allowable chain tension when using offset links on roller chain decreases as shown below.
|Rate of maximum allowable tension|
|When no link used||100%|
|Standard coupling link||100%|
Where do you lubricate the chain?
There are two points crucial to the lubrication of roller chain, as indicated by numbers 1 and 2 in the diagram.
(1) Lubrication between pins and bushings
Lubrication at this point prevents friction between pins and bushings, which are the main cause of roller chain wear.
(2) Lubrication at this point prevents friction between bushings and rollers, reduces noise, and absorbs impact load.
What components does chain comprise?
Conveyor chain comprises components such as link plates, pins, bushes and rollers. The example below is a standard conveyor chain.
- Link plate
- A flat, stamped component, with pin holes and bush holes formed by precision pressing.
- May be made of cast iron, structural carbon steel or case-hardened steel, depending on the chain size.
- Requires wear resistance, so bushes are made of case-hardened steel with surface hardening of the inner and outer surfaces.
- Requires wear resistance and toughness, so carefully selected structural carbon steel is used.
What roller chain standards do you deal in?
We deal in a variety of standards, including JIS (Japanese Industrial Standards), ANSI (American National Standards Institute), and ISO (International Standards Organization).
Can you manufacture chain that is not in your catalogs?
Please contact us for more information.
What's the difference between S-roller and R-roller double-pitch roller chain?
The difference is the outer diameter of the rollers used. The S-roller type uses smaller rollers, while the R-roller type uses larger rollers.
- Small roller series (S-roller type)
- The last digit in the chain's numeric designation will be 0.
- This series has the same roller diameter (outer) as standard roller chain.
- Standard sprockets can be used if they have 30 or more teeth.
- Large roller series (R-roller type)
- The last digit in the chain's numeric designation will be 2.
- This series has the same roller diameter (outer) as double-pitch roller chain.
- Specific sprockets must be used.
What is the working limit of the chain? And how do you inspect it?
Replacement guidelines are as follows.
- Roller chain
- Please see Chain/Sprockets > Roller Chain/Sprockets for Roller Chain.
- Conveyor chain
- Please see Chain/Sprockets > Conveyor Chain/Sprockets for Conveyor Chain.
Please refer to service manuals for more information on the inspection method.
What are the specifications of conveyor chain?
Our conveyor chain is classified as follows, according to the materials it is made of and its heat treatment.
A variety of attachments are required, according to how the chain will be used.
See these PDF files for more information.
What is the standard length of roller chain?
Our roller chain is 10 feet (3,048 mm) long.